· Generators should only be operated outside in well-ventilated areas and never in a garage, basement or breezeway.
· Do not operate generators near windows, doors or in other areas where exhaust fumes could be drawn into a home or other occupied structure.
· Do not use charcoal grills, gas grills or other open-flame devices indoors for heating or cooking.
· Use only portable heaters certified for indoor use. They should be placed in well-ventilated areas and kept well away from combustible materials.
· To prevent fires, generators should never be refueled while they are running. Refuel only after the generator has been turned off and allowed to cool.